Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Brain Sync and Kelly Howell

It has been over two months since I've been listening to the Universal Mind Mediation while falling asleep.  I even went so far as to buy the sleepsonic pillow from Brain Sync but it wasn't very comfortable so I exchanged it for the sleepphones.  I've been listening to Brain Sync for years now.  Kelly Howell's Facebook page is one of the first pages I "liked" and I've even considered signing up for one of their online meditation courses and attending one of their retreats at the Esalon institute which is a few hours south of me at Big Sur.

Imagine how disappointed I was when I emailed Kelly Howell via Facebook and she never responded.  My email explained how I had been listening to Brain Sync for years and how it helped me through the period when I was caring for my mom and after she died.  I explained how I didn't feel that the Universal Mind Meditation was having the same positive effect as it had couple of years ago and I was looking for something specific that I could listen to that would help me with shifting gears career-wise

She has recordings that include positive thinking, attracting wealth, quitting smoking, weight loss, awakening kundalini, retrieving your destiny... the list goes on and on.  Yet there is nothing related to career meditation.  So, my email to Kelly Howell inquired as to what she felt would be beneficial to me at this point given that I didn't believe the Universal Mind Meditation was helping me as well as it once had....  that was over a month ago.  She never responded.

She's marketed herself as an expert in spiritual guidance and manifestation through brain entrainment.  She's a success because people like me listen to her podcasts, buy her CD's, go to her seminars and pay attention to her message. We look to her for guidance because she claims to be an authority on spiritual progression and claims that she can help people overcome personal boundaries.  Besides, it's not like she has a half a million Facebook followers.  Perhaps expecting an actual response to my email was expecting a little too much. 

I always have to ask myself how sincere these spiritual gurus are.  A couple of years ago when I went through an "I hate my job" phase and was looking for something else (this was a recurring state of mind over the course of my 3 years with the e-commerce company), I applied for this job with a spiritual teacher in the bay area.  He was expanding his business and needed some marketing people.  I did a lot of research on him.

His teacher was Andrew Cohen who has a terrible online reputation as being a scam artist.  There are a lot of disgruntled former student's of Cohen's online.  The one I was interviewing with, however, was not one of them. This guy had managed to do quite well for himself with his teleseminars and collaborating with other spiritual teachers to form an online network.  The potential spiritual guru employer had some guided meditations online which I listened to repeatedly before the interview.  In spite of his teacher's negative reputation, I was really psyched about the opportunity to work with someone of that caliber--- after all, this dude claimed to be enlightened! 

The day of our phone interview, I left work early to come home and meditate before our conversation.  The interview was for 4.  4:00 came and went and this guy never called.  I emailed and phoned his assistant who had set up the interview to which I received no response.  A couple of days later, I heard from his assistant and she apologized on her boss's behalf about missing the appointment.  Something came up and he couldn't make it.  I guess spiritually enlightened people are so busy saving people from their pathetic lives that they don't need to be courteous.

So, the phone interview was rescheduled for another day. On that day, the spiritual guru called about 15 minutes later than scheduled from his car.  He couldn't remember my name or much else.  He told me that things were expanding and he was forming a network with other spiritual teachers and each of their sites would need a marketing person.  Our interview lasted maybe 15 minutes.  He said that the next step would be meeting with me in person to discuss the position in more detail. He told me to email him directly so that he had my contact information (Didn't he just call me?). Then he said he would be in touch in a couple of weeks as he was going on  vacation with his wife. 

A couple of weeks came and went... NOTHING.  I waited a few more days and emailed his assistant to which I received no response.  I emailed him directly to which I received no response.  I called his assistant... TWICE...and she never got back to me.  Finally, I just decided this guy was full of shit and I wouldn't want to work for him anyway.

If you go back to the early entries of this blog, you can read about Frederick Lunz aka Rama who was my very first "spiritual guru" back in New York in the 90's.  That story didn't end well.

So when I think about Kelly Howell completely ignoring my email, I gotta scratch my head and wonder:  Is she just another full of shit spiritual guru getting rich off desperate people in dire need of spiritual guidance?

That said, I cannot deny that her recordings have helped me.  Even these last few months.

No, I didn't get the job at the Swiss watch company even though I visualized it and worked the whole Law of Attraction thing.  But, in retrospect-- and I realized this before I got the news that i didn't get the job---the door to that opportunity looked a lot better when I was stuck in my crappy job w/ the ecommerce site.  Once I got laid off, the watch company didn't look so alluring.  I was desperate to get outta my job so, when compared to that, the opportunity looked wonderful.  Now, I really think I could do better.... and, fortunately, I qualify for unemployment.   And, while I had to cancel my wine club membership, cable and other non-essential luxuries, my core living expenses should be covered.

So, the Universal Mind Meditation is all about the universe providing you with everything you need if you just have faith.  I imagined that I would get a better job and leave my horrible job and that would be it.  And while this scenario didn't play out quite as I had imagined it would, don't I have everything I need and aren't I a hell of a lot happier? 

I would say yes.


No comments:

Post a Comment