Friday, June 15, 2012

I wanna tear down the walls that hold me inside....

It is hot as fucking hell right now.  Wine country is beautiful--no doubt about it, but sometimes in the late Spring/Summer months, it's insanely dry and hot.  On days like this, I shower twice because showering is the only thing that will cool me down.  I don't use my A/C because I'm on a bare bones budget and running the A/C is costly.

I didn't make it to my hill today... or yesterday. I'm working on a VO demo.  I've decided fuck the business world.  It's not me.  It never will be.  It's a square peg and I'm a round hole.


I had this epiphany regarding voiceover a few weeks ago. I was applying for marketing jobs at some of the larger gaming corps in NoCal. All the job profiles wanted someone who worked in "gaming" or who had a passion for "gaming" so I got myself a used PS2, some games out of the bargain bin at Gamestop and started gaming.  That's when I realized that these video games are productions with actors.  Duh. And the Bay area has a huge game producing industry. So what do I have to lose by putting together a VO demo and trying to get an agent?  I'm already a member of the union.

Before I switched majors to theatre, I was a radio major.  I DJ'd in college and did some radio dramas.  Apparently, there's a huge VO market in the bay area.  So.. so... so...

It's not too late.

I found a local studio, reached out to the owner and ended up meeting with her yesterday for almost 3 hours.  She's from NY and I immediately clicked with her.  I talked to her about my demo and explained my financial issues.  She is willing to work with me and allow me to pay in increments.  She also invited me to a class today (comped).  I had so much fun and walked away feeling like I just might not have to sell my soul sucking the corporate cock as I had pretty much resigned to doing.  It feels so good to be excited about possibilities. Damn, it's been so long.

So I need to come up with the money for my demo.  I've decided to sell a necklace my mom gave me. It's heavy, solid, 18 ct. gold.  It has sentimental value because it was my mom's but it's not my style.  I'm not really into yellow gold.  It has been sitting in my drawer for 3 years.  My mom had it appraised at 2k in the 80's.  I'm sure a pawn shop won't give me what it's worth but if I could at least get the majority of the money I need to get do this demo, I could at least get started.  Plus I have a few odd jobs to help generate additional income.  Thank God for unemployment.

Mom wanted me to be happy.  While I am somewhat at peace living where I do, I was never at peace at my last job.  It was a constant source of angst.  I am free from that now.  Selling mom's necklace isn't a magic wand to getting me where I need to be but it will definitely give me a jump start to getting on that path. 

I so needed this respite from the rat race.  It has given me a new direction.

Thank you, Universe!


No comments:

Post a Comment