Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I yoga'd

Back last year and early this year when I was obsessed with yoga, I got a bunch of at home yoga DVD's... Rodney Yee, Sadie Nardini, Ali McGraw/Erich Schiffmann which is one of my personal faves as it's shot in the desert almost like a music video and they use DCD as one of the musical tracks.  And then there's Bryan Kest who is this cheesy yoga instructor with long curly hair, ripped jeans, no shirt who speaks with a thick Brookyn accent but whose workout always kicks my ass in a "Oh wow, I hurt but feel fucking wonderful" kinda way....



I did these regularly in conjunction with my yoga classes at a local studio and I felt awesome.  Back in my NYC days, in spite of my serious alcohol/coke addict tendencies, I was very active. I went to the gym a lot and rode my bike all over the city.  My last year in the city, I lived in Astoria Queens and would ride my bike into Manhattan every day.  It was so awesome to go over the Queensboro bridge.  It was a natural high to roll downhill and into the Manhattan skyline.  To think of it now, I get chills.  


Then in LA, I'd bike regularly on the Venice bike path.  I look at pictures of myself back then and I am amazed at just how great my body looked.  I was lean and tone... I had legs (and an ass) of steel from biking so much.  Of course, I had no idea that my body looked this good because I always thought I was fat... (thanks, Hollywood).


Unfortunately, after 40, keeping in shape just ain't as easy as it used to be. I gotta work twice as hard.  After my mom died, I put on a little weight.  Couldn't figure out why because I didn't eat a lot.  Then my hospice bereavement counselor told me it had nothing to do with my diet but rather some sort of chemical reaction to loss... just like other people lose weight when they've lost a loved one even though they eat.


My response:  "Are you fucking kidding me??? Why can't I be one of the rail thin grievers??".  Thank God my bereavement counselor had a sense of humor. She was this older hippy lady who liked to read poetry and quote Emmylou Harris lyrics.  I really liked her.

Last year I was diagnosed with a thyroid disorder.  Yet another problem to deal with in my middle age.  I fucking hate being in my 40's.  Fortunately, though, as soon as I started taking these meds, I lost weight.  I'm convinced that this is why I put on weight after mom died.

I still have a bunch of prepaid yoga classes that I'm going to start using up.  Before my boss went into prick overdrive, there were actual perks to that job... one of them being flexibility in my schedule.  I'd work a half day, walk a block and do yoga for an hour and a quarter, then go back to the office and work the for the rest of the day.  The studio was having a special and I bought 20 classes for a super low price.  Shortly after, my work environment changed, I lost my schedule flexibility and those classes were never used.  They also never expired.  I was going to resume them as soon as I was laid off.


On Mothers Day, though, I hurt my little toe.  It got caught on a sandle... strange, I know but that's what happened (Okay, so I was, like, REALLY hungover so I'm sure that had something to do with it).  My pinky toe somehow got hooked on my sandle which happens to be very heavy.. the sandal weight sprained the toe. It was black and blue for days.. my neighbor thought I broke it but I knew better.... I broke my toe in college.  Now that hurt.  This was a mild sprain... a nuisance more than anything as just when I thought it was better, I'd walk wrong and it would start hurting again.


I was reluctant to resume yoga because of my toe.  My yoga teacher is an ass-kicker.  I love her but she really works you out and has you doing all kinds of pretzel poses.  I have an affinity for her because she has the same first name as me and is totally not afraid to be herself.  She talks about her frustrations and struggles w/ depression and how yoga has helped her deal...  I prefer that over some uninspirational, pretentious new ager (had my share of those in LA)...


Today I did one of my Rodney Yee DVD's for the first time in months.  I felt great afterwards... I had a nice vegan meal and paired it with a half bottle of Tribunal.  I do love my wine.  Conservatively, it's actually really good for you but I'm not so sure if a half bottle a night is....  


I reached out to a friend of mine who I haven't spoke to in a while. I met her at the holistic center and we sort of lost touch after she sold the place.  She was kind enough to refer a friend of hers who runs a local winery to me because he needed someone with "online marketing expertise".  I met him but I'm not sure if he really understands the scope of what he needs to do in order to initiate a true online presence.   For my time, he gave me a bottle of zin.  It wasn't the best but it wasn't terrible either...


My holistic center friend had emailed me at the tail end of last year and suggested that I teach a local acting class.  She said she had a bunch of local friends who would be into it and they would pay me.  At first, I was reluctant.  After all, I still had my job and I was hardcore searching for another one but I did tell her I was open to it...  I just explained my restrictions in terms of schedule.  She never got back to me about that again...  Not sure why.

I'm supposed to meet her next week for some vino.  I hope she brings it up again.  Right now, to be able to teach acting to a bunch of locals would be so much fun... and a great way to make some extra $$.

The price of gold dipped down again.  Dammit.  I want it to go back up so I can sell my mom's necklace.  As sad as it is to part with it, it's something i must do to move forward with my plan.    This is something I have to do...  I have to.  I must.  Mega Million tonight.  Perhaps it will happen.




No comments:

Post a Comment