Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 23 Juice Fast - A dream within a dream...

I'm tired of juicing.  It really is a lot of work.  You gotta scrub veggies/fruits with veggie cleaner if they're not organic.  If they are organic, you still need to soak them--you just don't need to scrub as vigorously.  Then you gotta cut them up so they fit in the chute.  Sometimes I use up to 8 different veggies/fruits in a juice.

While I love my new juicer, the Omega 350 HD, juicing is time consuming because you need to alternate between whatever you're juicing to ensure that it doesn't get clogged.  It's an auger juicer so it's very slow.  Greens and anything with a texture is susceptible to clogging the juicer.  I try to put greens in everything so there's always a risk of clogging. When it clogs, it's a bitch to clean. It also ejects more pulp than most juicers so I have to attach a sieve in between the spout and the juice container.  The sieve gets a film of pulp that resembles swamp scum and it needs to be cleaned out repeatedly. I have gotten better at using this juicer. It rarely clogs now whereas when I first got it, it clogged all the time.  Sometimes it takes up to an hour to make one juice.
Then, once it's done, it's time to clean.  This juicer is relatively easy to clean but still, when I'm done juicing, I want to sit down and drink--not clean.  Leaving it too long unclean can cause it to clog and the pulp to stick.  I have taken to throwing the pulp into the vineyards as compost.  Giving it back to the earth.  Yeah, I'm ecologically conscious.

Then, alas, I can indulge in my concoction.  Usually, I create my own unique juices and experiment.  I've gotten pretty good at it but I have made some stinkers (as my mom would say).  I've started grading my juices.  Most of them are around a C but every now and then I'm blessed with an A or cursed with a D.  If it's an F, I just won't drink it.  I've only had one juice that was so disgusting that I had to throw it out and that was at the beginning of this venture.

Still doing the CE's and the dry skin brushing.  I'm amazed that the discoloration that cursed my upper abdominal region for years has disappeared. Just what it was, I will never know.  I assume it was a result of tanning beds.

A week from tomorrow I will break my fast but I still cannot indulge in wine or beer or coffee even... and I don't really want to go back to my old diet as then this would all be for a waste.  But, in reality I had a healthy diet... more healthy than most people.  I haven't eaten meat in more than 25 years.  It's rare that I will eat "fast food".  The only fast food places I visited since converting to vegetarianism was Subway or Taco Bell although I stopped doing Taco Bell when someone told me they had lard in their beans.  Gross.

My weakness isn't diet, it's medication... I take so many pills just to sleep...and I like to drink.  Oh yes, I like to drink.  Throughout my fast, I have taken melatonin before bed.  I have slept pretty solid.  Last night, however, I didn't.  I was awakened at about 4am by a horrible dream.

It was a dream within a dream.  I was being attacked by evil forces but I pulled myself out of it and woke up from that dream.   Arms reached out on either side of me and started trying to pull me back into the dream world.  My mother woke me up.  She wanted me to take her to Bed, Bath and Beyond.  It was the mother I experienced before she died not the vibrant mother of my youth.

She was old and hobbled with a walker.  She insisted on going now (my mother did a lot of insisting when I was caring for her which drove me crazy).  I told her I couldn't because I needed to do research.  Next thing I know, I'm in a mall and Bobst (the NYU library which I haven't seen in 17 years) is in the mall.  My mom tells me that she's going to go to BB&B which is on the other side of the mall.  I go into Bobst and start researching my dreams and the demons from my dream world.  One of the results said it was something called "night terrors".  The librarian started talking to me about it and said that it was hard to escape the night terrors once they got a hold of you.

Just then I saw my mom coming down the escalator.  There was a very ominous presence but it wasn't a demon.  It was death and I knew my mom was going to die.  I felt incredibly sad in the dream and started to cry.

When I woke up I was crying and it took me a few minutes to find myself.  There is an inflated dragonfly that my neighbor gave me hovering over my bed.  Oh yes.  I'm in Sonoma.  NYU is but a distant memory.  My mom died nearly 4 years ago and I'm unemployed.

That is my unfortunate reality.



No comments:

Post a Comment