Sunday, July 15, 2012

Juice Fast Day 9 - Breaking Bad Habits

This morning I visited a produce market not too far from me. 

I found out about it at the place that has the Chupacabra sighting tours.  The guy who works there told me there was a "fruit stand" and gave the general vicinity which, coincidentally, was in my neighborhood.  When he said "Fruit Stand", I imagined some guy standing on the corner in a booth with some bags of oranges, lemons, apples, strawberries for sale.  I never imagined I would be walking into a smorgasbord of produce.  I asked my neighbor about it yesterday and she told me where it was---literally two minutes away.  This morning I went there and...

I'm in love.



I could've saved myself a lot of money if I knew about this place before I started my fast. This place has more produce than any of the other markets I've gone to and for less.  They even sell wine and food, too.... lots of nuts and grains and other health food. Once I've completed my fast and transitioned to a whole foods diet again, I will take advantage of their foods but, for now, it's all about produce. 


While I've lived here for over three years and have driven by this place a number of times, I never stopped or wondered what this place was.  I didn't really care as, whenever I go in that direction, I'm either headed to Marin County or San Francisco and my mind is on the destiny, not on the ride there.   

Let that be a metaphor.   Sometimes it's important to pay attention to your journey and perhaps even stop to look around because you could miss something of tremendous value.  That's my lesson for today. 

Tonight is the premier of the last season of Breaking Bad.  I'm really pissed that DISH dumped AMC which is probably the network I watched most frequently.  I don't really watch TV that often because I'm more into Netflix instant but I did watch AMC a lot for Mad Men, Walking Dead, The Killing and Breaking Bad.  Fortunately, AMC is streaming BB tonight for DISH subscribers. 

Today is also True Blood Sunday.  It's the second Sunday I've gone without my ritual blood red wine.  Tonight I don't miss it as much as I did last week.  It's amazing to me that my body is totally adjusting to this new way of living.  I'm no longer craving foods and coffee.  While I do have hunger pains occasionally, as soon as I drink my juice, I'm fine.  I'm not really focusing on the weight loss aspect but I do notice my clothes are baggy. 

The weird discoloration that suddenly appeared on my forehead last week seems to be fading.  I can't wait till it's gone completely.  Must be another symptom of the detox.  What I keep asking myself is "how will I know when I'm done detoxing?"  I really don't.  The nutritionist said it could take months given the amount of substances I've ingested. 

Tomorrow would have been my last day of the fast but I have decided to officially commit to 14 days.  Perhaps when that time draws closer, I will move the bar again.  As long as I continue to feel good, there's no reason to stop.

WARNING: IF READING ABOUT A WOMAN'S REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM IS OFFENSIVE TO YOU, THEN STOP

This is the first menstrual cycle I've had in my entire life, that I have not taken any type of pain medication.  When I was 16, I was  prescribed Tylenol 3 with Codeine because my cramps were so bad.  Sometimes I would actually throw up within the first couple of days.  Men don't really understand just how brutal a woman's cycle can be.  It's been debilitating most of my life. 

When I had a doctor in LA, he prescribed me Vicodin.  Upon moving here, I couldn't find a doctor ballsy enough to write me a script for a narcotic so I just took ibuprofen---lots of it.

The mere fact that I am not taking anything but fennel/celery/apple juice for cramps really says a lot.  My cramps aren't completely gone but I feel way better than I usually do right about now.  That's a good thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment